Last Entry: Experiences: April 15, 2013


Friday, April 6, 2012

Developing Interest in Shamanism Leads to Soul Retrieval

Towards the end of 2005, I was drawn to a book called Singing the Soul Back Home: Shamanic Wisdom for Every Day by Caitlin Matthews. In part, I picked this book because I resonated with the title and I felt the sensation of wanting to return home, but I also had a curiosity about shamanism that I had never given myself the opportunity to explore before. Additionally, I remember a general sense of feeling lost within myself.

As I discussed this book and my surrounding feelings with my naturopath, she suggested that a soul retrieval might be helpful, with regard to my current neurological difficulties, and referred me to a shamanic healer. Meeting with the shaman, I expressed a desire to learn about shamanic journeying, as well as to receive a soul retrieval. So, I ended up having a few sessions on shamanic journeying prior to the soul retrieval.

My first attempts at shamanic journeying were very difficult and frustrating. I didn't know where to focus my attention or my eyes. In fact, it wasn't until I was listening to a chakra healing CD that I found myself drifting off into imagery that that didn't feel directed from my thoughts. As this happened, however, I could feel a subtle shift in sensation that I can only describe as smooth, serene, and vast. But, even this experience, did not improve my skill at shamanic journeying very much. Additionally, as I started to get better at engaging the appropriate space and focus, the images I received were hard for me to decipher.

I've worked with shamanic journeying on and off since then, but often without consistency. My confusion with the images and the my lack of trust in what I was receiving caused me to be frustrated and impatient. And yet, although I was not immediately able to understand the meaning of my images, I did begin to notice events in my life that seemed to be connected with these images. But these details would often come to me weeks after the actual shamanic journey and after some part of it was already playing out in my life. So, this became my starting point for learning about the images I was receiving.

Coming back now to working with the shamanic healer and to receiving a soul retrieval, I will share some of the details that have come to impact my life on various levels. The soul retrieval brought me: 1) knowledge of the power animals I had been unable to meet myself, 2) a 6-year-old soul part whose only clue about her presence was that it was "germane" at this time, and 3) a 22-year-old soul part that had been subject to a soul theft and came back for my intuition.

I recognized my 22-year-old soul part first, suspecting that she had left during a drinking induced blackout. This was an event that directly preceded approximately nine years of abstinence, which I chose out of recognition of having a drinking problem. As I kept this in mind within my discussions with my 22-year-old soul part, it became clear that reconnecting and integrating with her would required me to monitor my current drinking habits, which were quite different from the years before, and to earnestly practice my intuitive skill.

My 6-year-old soul part, however, was more difficult to figure out. I thought of a few situations during that period of my life, but I would come to know that none of these were associated with her. In fact, I did not come to understand what she was associated with until nearly two years later. But this is another story in and of itself to begin explaining in another posting, which will start to make connections between this 6-year-old soul part and pain I was suffering in my left shoulder.

No comments:

Post a Comment