Last Entry: Experiences: April 15, 2013


Thursday, September 8, 2011

Two Years of Vision Therapy Begin

After I was cleared by the conventional neurologist, I would spend the next two years doing eye exercises every morning. After the first year (2006) of vision therapy, I started to feel better. But, it took a second year (2007) before I started to feel normal again and an additional three years (2010) before I was back to a level of functioning that was present prior to the appearance of my neurological dysfunction.

Within this process, I went through a couple of stages from the beginning to the end of vision therapy and beyond. My initial eyeglass lenses were tinted a reddish brown, which was closest to the rose colored sunglasses that I had been wearing. In addition, they also contained prisms that were meant to encourage my eyes to move in the right direction and in unison. These lenses would be used during the entire two years of my vision therapy. Then, as my vision had corrected enough to stop doing the eye exercises, I was able to go to clear lenses, which still contained the prisms. This act, of going to clear lenses, was in and of itself another vision exercise. But, I was successfully able to make this transfer, although the prisms remain a necessary support for my functioning today.

Throughout the main portion of this therapy, I also continued to need the consistent support of my alternative care physicians. This was necessary because the nature of correcting my vision and my related neurology was often challenging and fatiguing. But healing of this type, I found, requires a cycle of getting a bit worse before getting a bit better. In other words, the system or neurology needs to be challenged enough to change without being overwhelmed, which would instigate further failure rather than healing. So, the process requires a rather delicate balancing act where some ongoing dysfunction is expected.

Although the problem with my binocular vision was found to be the major factor of my neurological functioning, other events and factors would also prove to be significant. These other aspects, however, are mostly only beginning to show themselves as I examine my chosen path of healing and personal growth. But, it is these other aspects that are of particular interest with regard to the use of art in the therapeutic realm. So, future entries will begin to makes the connections between neurological dysfunction, therapeutic relationships, and art making.

No comments:

Post a Comment