Last Entry: Experiences: April 15, 2013

Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Treatment Begins with the Chiropractic Neurologist

When I met with the chiropractic neurologist, one of the first things he noticed was that I was hypoxic. That is, I wasn't getting enough oxygen profusion within my brain. So, he suggested a treatment course of 20 minutes of oxygen 3x per day.

This meant that I had to find a source of oxygen, which was not going to be covered by health insurance because it was considered "oxygen therapy" rather than a life threatening need. Luckily, at the time, you could still find refurbished oxygen generating machines on ebay, which satisfied the level of my needs.

The chiropractic neurologist also noticed that the dysfunction I was experiencing occurred mainly within the left side of my brain, initially estimating that this could be corrected with 3 sessions per week for a period of 6 weeks. But, my issues would prove to be a bit more complicated than that, as 6 weeks turned into nearly 6 years.

As treatment began, he found out that my system was at such a low point that he really had to calibrate how much brain stimulation to provide. Just enough stimulation would shift my situation in a positive direction, but any more than that and I would just fall back down the other way. This became the first indication that something more complex and unexpected was happening, which was going to require more treatment and investigation than had been initially indicated.

The next indication of a more complex situation occurred when the adjustments seemed to be helping, but not improving, my functionality. In exasperation, the chiropractic neurologist rhetorically exclaimed "What the #%@& is going on with you?"

So, he started working through a series of different techniques in an attempt to discover what exactly was happening with me. His experience had shown him that his work either had a large effect or none at all. Thus, my case was totally unexpected for him, as my case file grew to one of the largest within his experience.

Although no answers were immediately presented themselves, I stayed with this course of treatment because it was the only thing that was helping me to function and because I trusted that the answers would eventually be found. But work was becoming increasingly difficult for me, so by January of 2005 I had to request the use of FMLA and had my hours at work cut it half. It would be another 4 months, however, before the first of my answers would begin to reveal itself.

No comments:

Post a Comment